Wednesday, December 8, 2010

To Top or Not to Top

That is the question I have been debating for the last week since I read this bog on weddingbee.com and fell in LOVE with one of the toppers she had posted about.
Ta-Da!
How adorable right! It’s from the shop MilkTea by bthanari on Etsy.Before I got engaged and was in serious “wish I was getting engaged” obsession mode I thought I wanted a funny cake topper. In fact I thought I wanted this wedding topper I found on TheKnot.
I thought this was the best thing ever and SO “us”.
I imagined people at the wedding looking at it on our wedding cake saying:“Oh look how funny and cute they are! They have a cake topper of a bride dragging the groom to the alter! That is SO Patrick and Megan.”I have since decided this is not cute … or rather this is not “us”. I mean let’s be honest do I really want people to get the idea that I had to drag Patrick to the alter? Alright I’m not going to lie and saythat I came to this conclusion on my own. I watch a lot of David Tutera and he always freaks when the bride wants one and says they are tacky. Now up until right now I just assumed he only meant funny ones, but looking back I think he says ALL cake toppers are tacky.But I can’t help loving that topper from MilkTea. She will custom make each one from creating the little dress to match your own, to the grooms tux to the flowers and wedding colors and even the grooms facial hair! I mean really, how adorable is that?

What is the problem you may ask? Well the problem is that this topper is $160! As a budget bride, can I really, I mean REALLY justify spending almost $200 on something that goes on top of a cake?

Well I really want to. I keep going back to it multiple times a day. I feel like this is something that is not just an object that is plopped on a cake and then tossed or forgotten about. This is something that I would proudly save and display in my house. It embodies everything that is that day for us. I feel it is something my future daughter(s) would love to have and maybe use for their own wedding(s). Yes it wouldn’t be custom to their individual day but maybe that isn’t what is important to them. Now can you really put a price on something like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment