Monday, December 20, 2010

The Bridesmaid Dress Dilemma

Before I got engaged, I had always wanted a Autumn wedding. I still wanted to have it outdoors and at my parent’s house where I grew up but I just envisioned us surrounded by all the beautiful colors of fall, all the bright reds, yellows and oranges and the deep greens of the not yet turned leaves. I wanted each of my bridesmaids in a different color dress; one bright Red, another gold, dark green, burnt orange, yellow. Whatever color best suited each girl. I thought it would look so beautiful and organic.

But when I got proposed to on Christmas I knew a fall wedding was out. Patrick said he wanted at least a year engagement and I knew I didn’t want an almost 2 year engagement. So we decided on Spring because of the mild weather, but what were my wedding colors going to be now? I just couldn’t picture different color dresses now that it was a different season. I am not a fan of pastels and super girly colors like pink and oranges. I thought of doing my favorite color yellow but that was a bad idea considering both of my sisters HATE yellow. So finally I decided on green and purple.

So the question was do I want solids or a pattern? When I was looking online I kind of fell in love with patterned dresses at first.
I kind of love the pattern groomsmen tie as well :-)I mean they are kind of darling, but again not everyone loves a patterned dress. I mean I could always go the mismatch route and give the girls basic colors and let them pick whatever they want like this ….But I really just do not like the look of that. I really wanted the girls in the same style dress. I just really believe that one thing should be the same so you can distinguish your bridesmaids from the guests. So either they all were going to have a different color or they were going to wear the same style dress, so the style won. I wanted green to be more of the accent color since we are going to be outside surrounded by green; grass, trees, plants. Also it’s bad luck if you are Irish and your bridesmaids wear green, so done, they will wear purple. Some of my BM’s freaked a little with the purple but they hated green more and you can’t please everyone. Plus I’m not going to make them all wear the same shade. Not everyone looks good in lavender. So I decided to have a couple different shades that will work with different skin tons and the girls can pick. I told the girls to look for styles they love and I would do the same and we would make a list and vote of the favorite. Well lucky me, all my girls love the same dress I love! I of course didn’t tell them my favorite until after they had all voted because I didn’t want them to think they had to pick that one. I seriously have the best BM’s ever! And I adore the dress we picked! A couple of the girls had picked 2 dresses so we are going to try them on as well because if the one we all love doesn’t look good on then we need back ups.
God those are some good looking dresses! They are all from the fabulous Jim Hjelm! I beyond love this designer! All of his dresses are amazing and it really is hard to pick just one but the prices of the dresses sure helped narrow that down because some of them are upwards of $500 so yeh not about to make my girls pay for something like that lol THAT is rude. So unless I was going to dish out $300 per girl to help them pay I just chose dresses that were in a more modest range. Also I did a lot of searching online and found some great discount websites that offers some at $100 off or more, fabulous right? J. Honestly what did brides do before there was the internet?

Now I am thinking I don’t really care if they have the same style because I know the shades of purple will be the same because the dresses are from the same designer.
I think which ever dress style they feel beautiful in will be fine with me because in the end I really want my girls to feel beautiful and I think together they will look really great :-) PLUS look who else decided to do 3 different shades of purple AND different dress styles… On a side note when I was trying to find a Bridal shop that carried the dresses we like (which was so hard) , I found this dress which I LOVE because it is basically my wedding in a dress haha but would never make my girls wear it, but i DO secretly want to wear it myself lol

Here are the links to those sites that offer designer dresses at discounted rates :-)

Brides of California
Victoria's Bridal Couture

Modern Bridal Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment