Monday, December 13, 2010

2 Parts Wedding 1 Part Drinking

We had our first party in our first home this Saturday, hence the no posts for 2 days. It was a great success and a ton of fun but it got me thinking, about drinking and weddings.
I’m not going to lie and say I was the sober hostess. I definitely had a LOT of fun but I also drank more than I should have. I let the occasion get the best of my good sense. It was a BYOB so I had actually only bought myself a 6 pack of amber cider (beer that tastes like cider and my fav thing to drink) planning on just chilling on those the entire night. That was silly of me because our friends are shot maniacs and I am a sucker for shots. It’s really the only liquor I drink, I’m just not a huge fan of mixed drinks, I much prefer my beer and wine. For me shots are like potato chips; you can’t just have one. HA! That makes me sounds like such a drunk but in reality I rarely drink … maybe twice a month if that.

So anyways when I woke up the next morning with a surprisingly very mild hangover, which was gone in 30mins after the magical wonder of Excedrin, I got to thinking about our wedding and how I do not want it turn out. I watch a lot of wedding shows and some of these brides and grooms just get wasted and pass out or get sick even. I definitely do not want to be that bride, I want to remember every moment and not not look back and be like “oh geez I said/did what?”. I want people to have fun but there is such thing as too much fun. I want everyone to remember the night as much as I want to remember it and not have it turn into a ride on the hot mess express.

A couple if years ago I went to one of my friends weddings and she chose not to have a full bar instead they served beer, wine and had a signature drink. So when we were looking into caterers, parents and I had decided that we were going to go that route as well. I thought this was a great idea and could really keep the party going while not allowing people to go buck wild, which is a definite with our friends if we have a full bar. And best of all it’s super budget friendly. But in the last couple months I had been tossing around the idea of maybe having vodka and tequila as well but after Saturday I know this is not a good idea because there is no reason for those unless I want shots. Now yes of course I know people can still get just as drunk with wine and beer but they won’t have the option of shots with a limited bar. But I do worry about people not liking my signature drink. I know some people don’t like wine or beer so then the real task is to find a signature drink that will please the people.

Which bring me to my signature drink. When I moved to Texas I was introduced to Firefly Vodka. Now if you have never heard of it, it’s a sweet tea vodka, basically vodka that looks and tastes exactly like iced tea. YUM! I think it goes perfectly with our outdoor garden wedding in the Spring. All you do is mix it with lemonade and wah-la! That is something we could even pre-make so the bartender doesn’t have as much to do. I also thought it would be nice if we could offer different flavors so thought about getting raspberry and peach juices. This way there is a variety to one signature drink. I have also found out that it is gluten free which is important because my very good friend’s wife is allergic to gluten. I know both wine and beer has gluten so I wanted to have a something she could drink as well and this fits the bill.
As for out wine, well that was the easiest part. There is a wine from California call Charles Shaw or better known as Two Buck Chuck. It is $3 on the east coast and only can be purchased at Trader Joe store. It is really GOOD wine and if you have access to Trader Joe’s in your area I suggest picking up a case.

The beer is going to be the most expensive alcohol since my family like good beer. We will serve the all around crowd pleaser of Miller Light which I actually thoroughly enjoy but will also have Leffe Blonde and a dark beer of my brothers choosing. I thought about maybe serving Woodchuck Amber Cider as well but I doubt it seeing as I’m the only one who would drink it.



In the end I want everyone to be happy but I also have to work with our budget. I think this option gives us a good variety to make everyone happy … or so I hope ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you!
    My Fi and I don't drink, but we met at school and a lot of our mutual college friends are big drinkers, and some are known to do some pretty stupid stuff when drunk. So we know we don't want a full bar... and will probably do wine & beer like you.

    ReplyDelete